DO’s AND DON’Ts FOR CENTRAL GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES
The central civil service conduct rules, 1964 impose various restrictions on central govt employees. Some Do’s and Don’ts applicable to employees are given below.
- Maintain absolute integrity all times.
- Maintain absolute devotion to duty at all times.
- Those holding responsible posts – maintain independence and impartiality in the discharge of your duties.
- Maintain decent and responsible conduct in their private life.
- Observe proper decorum during lunch break.
- Render prompt and courteous service to the public.
- Report to the superiors the fact of your arrest or conviction in a Criminal court and the circumstances connected therewith, as soon as it is possible to do so.
- Keep away from demonstrations organized by political parties in the vicinity/ neighborhood of government offices.
- Manage private affairs in such a way as to avoid habitual indebtedness or insolvency.
- Maintain political nutrality.
- Act in accordance with the government policies.
- Observe courtesy and consideration to Members of Parliament and State Legislatures.
- If any legal proceedings are institued for the reocovery of any debt due from you or for adjusting you as an insolvent, report the full facts of such proceedings to the competent authority.
- In perfomance of duties in good faith, communicate information to a person in accordance with the ‘Right to Information Act, 2005’ and the rules made thereunder.
- Do not indulge in acts unbecoming of a government servant.
- Do not be discourteous, dishonest of partial.
- Do not make joint representations in matters of common interest.
- Do not adopt dilatory tactics in your dealings with public.
- Do not convey oral instructions to subordinates.
- Do not practice untouchability
- Do not associate yourself with any banned organizations.
- Do not join any association or demonstration whose objects or activities are prejudicial to the interest of the sovereignity and integrity of India, Public order or morality.
- Do not give expression to views on Indian or foreign affairs, while visiting foreign countries.
- Do not get involved in unauthorized communication of any official document or any pat thereof or classified information to any government servant or any other persons to whom you are not authorized to communicate such document of classified information.
- Do not joint or support an illegal strike.
- Do not enter into any private correspondance with foreign Embassies or Missions.
- Do not accept lavish or frequent hospitality from any individual, industrial or commercial firms, organizations, etc having official dealings with you.
- Do not accept any offer of the cost of passage to foreign countries or hospitality by way of free board and lodging there, if such offers are from foreign firms contracting with Govt.
- Do not accept invitations to you and members of your family for free inaugural flights offered by Air India, Indian airlines Corportation or foreign Airlines.
- Do not give or take or abet giving or taking of dowry or demand any dowry directly or indirectly from the parent or guardian of a bride or bridgegroom.
- Do not accept any gift from any foreign firm which is having official dealings.
- Do not engage yourself in canvassing business of life insurance Agency, commission agency or advertising agency owned or managed by the members of your family.
- Do not lend or borrow money from or deposit money as a member or agent, with any person, firm or private company with whom you likely to have official dealings. Do not otherwise place yourself under pecuniary obligation with such person, firm or private company.
- Do not approach your subordinates for standing surety for loans taken from private sources either by your / your relatons / friends.
- Do not undertake private consultance work.
- Do not speculate in any stock, share or other investment.
- Do not purchase shares out of the quota reserved for friends and associates of Directors of companies.
- Do not bid at any auction of property where such auction is arranged by your own officers.
- Do not stay as guest with foreign diplomats or foreign national in India.
- Do not invite any foreign diplomat to stay with you as a guest in India.
- Do not accept or permit your wife or dependents to accept passage money or free air transport from a foreign Mission/ Government or Organization.
- Do not bring any political influence in matters pertaining to your service. 29. Do not consume any intoxicating drinks or dungs while on duty.
- Do not appear in public place in a state of intoxication.
- Do not indulge in any act of sexual harassment of any woman at her work place. 32. Do not employee children below 14 years of age.
- Do not accept award of monetary benefits instituted by private trusts/ Foundations , etc.