Annual Report on Pay & Allowances for CG Employees – Finance Ministry
Pay Research Unit
Department of Expenditure
Ministry of Finance
ANNUAL REPORT ON PAY & ALLOWANCES FOR THE YEAR 2016-17
1. The total expenditure on Pay and Allowances (excluding Productivity Linked Bonus/Ad-hoc Bonus, Honorarium, Encashment of Earned Leave and Travelling Allowance) for Regular Central Government Civilian employees including employees of the Union Territories was Rs.182513.25 crore in 2016-17 as compared to Rs.150028.57 crore in 2015-16. Thus, there is an increase in expenditure by `32484.68 crore over previous year which in relative terms works out to around 21.65%.
2. The Total expenditure on pay and allowances as a percentage of Revenue Receipts and Revenue Expenditure of the Central Government during the financial year 2016-17 is 10.88% and 9.18% as compared 10.45% and 8.43% respectively during the financial year 2015-16.
3. Out of the total expenditure of Rs.182513.25 crore, the percentage expenditure on Pay, Dearness Allowance (DA), House Rent Allowance (HRA) and other allowances are 65.75%, 16.57%, 3.42% and 14.26% respectively.
4. Out of the total expenditure of Rs.6253.93 crore on HRA in 2016-17, the HRA expenditure for ‘X’ class cities is Rs.2817.83 crore which is around 45.06% of the total expenditure on HRA.
5. Almost 86% of the total expenditure was incurred by five major Ministries/Departments (Railways, Defence(Civil), Home Affairs, Posts and Revenue) during 2016-17.
6. Of the total expenditure on Pay and Allowances in 2016-17, the Ministry of Railways continues to have the largest share i.e 38.92% , marginally increased from 34.98% in 2015-16. Share of Ministry of Home Affairs has decreased from 26.59% to 25.06% and department of Posts has been decreased from 7.74% to 5.55% . Share of Ministry of Defence (Civil) has decreased from the previous year i.e. from 12.11% to 12.04%.
7. The expenditure of UT administrations is Rs.3781.92 crore in 2016-17 as compared to Rs.3382.19 crore in 2015-16. Thus, there is an increase in expenditure by Rs.399.73. crore over previous year which in relative terms works out to around 11.82%.
8. The expenditure of Indian Missions/ Embassies abroad is Rs.1426.08 crore in 2016-17 as compared to Rs.1159.54 crore in 2015-16. Thus, there is an increase in expenditure by Rs.266.54 crore over previous year which in relative terms works out to around 22.98%.
9. As on 01.03.2016, the total number of Regular Central Government Civilian Employees in position was 32.21 lakh against the sanctioned strength of 36.34 lakh and approximately 11.36% of the posts were vacant.
10. Almost 92% of the total manpower is covered by five major Ministries/Departments viz, Railways, Defence(Civil) , Home Affairs, Posts and Revenue. Of the total strength of 32.21 lakh, the percentage share of the Railways is 41.33%, Home Affairs 29.44%, Defence (Civil) 12.37%, Posts 6.02 %, Revenue 3.11% and all other Ministries/ Departments 7.73%
11. Against the sanctioned strength of 9.57 lakh in Central Police Forces, 9.01 lakh employees were in position as on 01.03.2016. In Union Territories (UTs) 64910 employeeswere in position as on 01.03.2016.
12. DA based on All India Consumer Price Index.
Click to view the Report – Pay-and-Allowance-2016-17